Work Starts on New Canberra EC MRT Station
News Releases . 27 April 2015
- Work on the new Canberra EC MRT station (NS12), that will be located along Canberra Link, will start in mid-2015, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) has said.
- The LTA has awarded the contract to construct this new station on the North – South Line to China State Construction Engineering Corporation Ltd (Singapore), at a contract amount of $90 million.
- China State Construction Engineering Corporation Ltd (Singapore) was established in 1992. It is currently working on construction of the Downtown Line 3 Kaki Bukit and Geylang Bahru MRT stations.
- The new Canberra MRT station will be the 2nd station to be built on an existing MRT line. (The first was Dover station, that opened in 2001, in the vicinity of which we have projects such as One Holland Village and Hyll on Holland.)
Located between Sembawang and Yishun stations along Canberra Link, the new Canberra EC MRT station will serve residents in the nearby Sembawang Springs and Montreal estates, as well as the many upcoming public and private residential developments in the vicinity.
- This station is slated to open in 2019. Commuters will no longer need to take a bus to Sembawang or Yishun MRT stations, which will save up to 10 minutes travel time.
- The station will be well-connected to existing and future developments around the station, with covered linkways, cycling tracks, bus stops and taxi stands located at street level. It will have 5 entrances linking it to the surrounding estates, including the new Canberra EC.
- One of the station’s entrances will be integrated with a future development across the road, connecting commuters to the station via an overhead link bridge across Canberra Link. The elevated bridge will also allow commuters to bypass the station’s concourse level, so as to directly access the city-bound train platform.
The new Canberra Station is designed by DP Architects (opens in new window).